Sunday, August 16, 2009

12d to the GRE

Well then. It seems that I've finally caught up with myself. At 9:20am this morning I began my first full GRE practice test - timed - since the initial assessment test. Ten minutes in, I had to retreat. I planted myself on the toilet with a heating pad in the most agonizing pain and horrendous diarrhea I've felt/had in over a year. I stayed there for three hours. The only thing that challenges this episode is the bout from last summer when I vomited up straight bile for four consecutive hours before passing out.

When, around 1230 this afternoon, I finally decided I could survive the twenty-minute ride to the hospital without shitting out my intestines, Heroic Boyfriend took me into the ER. As usual, they pumped me full of saline and morphine, prescribed a buttload of oxycodone and prednisone and sent me on my merry way.

I will make an effort to inquire as to the possibility of a non-timed GRE examination. Just in case prednisone doesn't begin to do its job over the next 12 days, I want to have an option other than walking out of the test with nothing. As deadline dictates, however, I must take the CAT version if I still hope to apply to schools this year. The CAT is not really available non-timed... I suspect. Who the hell knows, though. I will have a note from my doctor from my scheduled appt. two days before the exam. It's possible.

I am disgusted that a diet of Boost, baby food and potato sent me into such a violent flare. I'm debating whether or not to go to work tomorrow. I am not debating whether or not studying today might be worth it. I will save the practice test for a day when I am not deathly ill and high on painkillers. How I perform on the GRE is of little importance in the scope of my career. If I can get an interview with my current repertoire, I will be in. During the interview, I am convinced that I will impress, and the GRE will be neither damaging nor stunning.

The rest of today is for lassitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment