Thursday, May 20, 2010

Progress and Food

1.  My hair has stopped falling out at the obnoxious rate of four handfuls a day.  Though it is a little less than half of what it used to be [as measured by hairband wraps (before, 2-3; now, 5)], it is regaining health.  Half of my head is covered in 2" long wisps that so admiringly wish to be part of the world of the longer strands.  Dandruff has returned -- not the problematic kind, but the kind that everyone has when their scalp is healthy -- to help buffer the re-growth process.  And some of the curl has returned to the body.  While lacking it's awesome fullness and fellow-bus-passenger-comment-earning curl, the red sheen has returned and promises that I will at least not look like a corpse on my wedding day.  Thank you, steroid recovery.

2.  Note to self: pseudoephedrine (yes, the premium stuff you can only get from a reluctantly signed prescription) makes my tummy hurt.  It is the kind of hurt that mimics the pain of the two-week steroid withdrawal extravaganza of several weeks ago.  And by "several weeks", I of course mean two months.  Similarly, Ny/Dayquil does the same damn thing.  So no sinus infection relief for me unless I decide to go to urgent care.

3.  Forgive me Father, for I have sinned.  It has been four days since my last poop.  Dr GI, who has triumphantly redeemed himself at last week's appointment (in order to show off to his hot resident observer, no doubt), demanded that I treat this constipation situation with Metamucil.  I've eaten these crackers before, the little apple cinnamony ones that go down rather thickly but go down never the less.  I don't recall their ever having caused problems or failed in their mission.  This time, however, after two days I awoke at 2am not from lack of oxygen or stomach pain or having to pee (which all occurred at other points in the post-sleepytime night), but from the need to release Throughput.  This has never before occurred in the history of my being... awoken by urgency to poo?  I was fascinated.  However, nothing came out but mucous (you're welcome).  I was disappointed.  So no more Metamucil since I certainly do not need another thing to wake me up 6 times a night instead of 4.  I'll take the constipation.  But thanks.

ON WHICH NOTE!...

Methods
1. Caramelize chopped onions and garlic in a lightly buttered skillet
2. Meanwhile, mash 2/3 of a can of black beans in a bowl
3. Mix in other 1/3 of black beans, caramelized onion/garlic mixture (keep the pan heated)
            optional: add cilantro and green bell pepper to the bowl
4. Mix in 2/3 cup bread crumbs (we used Matzoh Meal, which, oddly complemented the bean mixture supremely well)
5. Stir in two beaten eggs
6. In the still-heated pan from the onion/garlic mix, add a quarter inch (if you dare) oil; pan should be on medium heat
7. Layer a plate with cornmeal (or Matzoh Meal, or whatever "meal" you want, really), and coat both sides of a formed black bean patty
8. Place the bean patties in the oiled pan for roughly 1.5 min each side
9. Set over paper towels to lose some of the oil
10. Serve with some variety of greenness and salsa



We had ours with sautéed mustard greens.
   
Test run.
Solid.

1 comment:

  1. hahahaha i love you, dude. i hope your poos become more satisfying.

    ReplyDelete