Saturday, September 5, 2009

Food of the Day: Spaghetti Squash

Since I know you're all so anxious to hear how my contumacious tummeh dealt with spaghetti squash soup... no trouble! I can't emphasize enough how exciting it is to be able to eat something that is neither broth nor pure carbohydrate after two months. This is so thrilling, in fact, that I have resolved to make some of these tantalizing spaghetti squash hash browns when I get down to California (although I will have to substitute the onions and butter).

Our Food of the Day - you may have guessed - is spaghetti squash. It is a staple food in the SCD because it is fairly low in carbs and sugar. Additionally; low in saturated fat and cholesterol, excellent source of vitamin B6, vitamin C and folic acid. Most of the carbohydrate ratio comes from the sugar content, but these are simple vegetable sugars - the good kind of bad sugar. Spaghetti squash is also a good source of choline (also mentioned in the BEETS Food of the Day post). Although it is slightly inflammatory due to the fiber content, it seems to be a good introductory food for me (to be consumed moderately, of course).

For those who have asked, I believe that easing back into solid food with the Specific Carbohydrate and gluten-free diets is going to be ideal for this particular flare. I will not be holding steadfast to the guidelines of both, mind you, but combining the most helpful parameters of each (id est, absolutely no nuts/seeds and no meat/dairy for quite some time to come). The SCD is geared toward Crohnies and Coeliacs who have trouble gaining weight, and I have NEVER had trouble getting back to my normal weight. Therefore, I will be slowly tapering off the simple carbohydrate intake (grains, potatoes, rice) and easing into foods that result in less "residual throughput" breeding ground for unwanted flora, and that do not gibe inflammation. Complex carbohydrates (apples, plums, blueberries, fresh orange juice with no pulp) are supposed to be specifically IBD protective. Simple sugars (watermelon, dried fruit, pineapple, grapes), however, contribute to inflammation and so will be avoided. [Griel et al 2006, Art Thromb Vasc Biol; Gastrich et al 2008, Top Clin Nut]

Carbohydrate and sugar complexity is tough to negotiate because most foods have both simple and complex varieties. Low glycemic index is really going to be my best friend on this one.

--

Remicade Part Deux went well this morning, and I have finally been given permission to start up vitamin C and D (but no multivitamin yet, for a reason that I do not fully comprehend [yes, as a scientist I do not get this one... something about chelation that shouldn't actually be happening]).

And now I must sleep, for I have an early flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment